I loved coconut ever since I can remember. I love the smell of it. Do you? 🙂
Sukrin, a UK company based in Hove, kindly gave me some coconut flour to cook with.
This flour smells AMAZING and I had a lot of fun trailing a coconut flour vanilla cake recipe.
*COCONUT FLOUR FREE GIVE AWAY* **NOTE THIS OFFER HAS NOW EXPIRED***
Sukrin also gave me these 5 packets of Raw Organic fat reduced cold pressed coconut flour to GIVE AWAY TO FIVE people 🙂
*COCONUT FLOUR VANILLA CAKE RECIPE*
Note: to get a soft moist cake using coconut flour you have to do different things then when you use wheat flour as coconut flour is so high in fibre – make sure you follow the method below. I’ve also reduced the sugar as much as I could without altering the taste.
Here’s what some people think 🙂
-Darryl Healy – Director of The Swan, West Malling:
“a really delicious cake, lovely moist texture and it’s gluten free, could even go on our dessert list!”
-Dr Sophie Shotter – from Illuminate Skin Clinics in Kings Hill:
“We were lucky enough to sample a delicious coconut recipe from #pecknutrition #tasty”
THE RECIPE 🙂
¼ cup of coconut oil (room temperature)
¼ cup of butter (room temperature)
¾ cup of soft brown sugar
4 medium egg yolks (I used premium eggs with yellow yolks)
4 medium egg whites
2 tsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp fine sea salt
1 cup room temperature whole milk (4% fat)
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease and line a medium baking tin.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the coconut fat, butter and sugar.
- Continue to mix and as you do add one yolk at a time until well combined and resembling a light coloured cream.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (coconut flour, baking powder, salt) and add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix together. Then add ½ of the milk and all the vanilla. Then add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Mix. Then add the rest of the milk. Mix. Then finish with the rest of the dry ingredients then mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold a stiff peak. Then gently fold the egg whites into the cake mixture until well mixed.
- Spread into your medium baking tin and bake for 25-35 minutes. It’s really important that you don’t over bake this cake. Coconut flour browns easily. Check after 25 minutes and your cake skewer should come out clean. When cooked allow to cool, then take out and leave to cool completely. Cover with butter cream icing. I sandwiched mine together with butter cream/cream cheese icing so if you use smaller sandwich tins note you will need to reduce cooking time by half.
My view on coconut oil
I believe for most people coconut can be eaten with a nutritious optimal diet. I have a health note below that I’d love for you to read!
I hope you enjoy the cake as much as I do!
Health note – there’s a lot being said about whether coconut fat is good or bad for you. It’s not about whether a food is good or bad, it’s about understanding the nutrition the food gives and how it works for you and how you should eat it.
Coconut flour: is high in fibre, gluten free, rich in protein and extremely filling.
Coconut fat is reported to have anti-fungal effects. More studies need to be done to confirm the effects of coconut fat on our blood fats.
But what we know is that coconut oil raises HDL cholesterol (which is good) but it also raises LDL cholesterol (which experts believe is not so good) HOWEVER, it’s does not raise LDL cholesterol to the extend that butter does. So it may be considered a good swap for butter, however, not a great swap for olive oil – which we know lowers LDL cholesterol and raises HDL 🙂
Get forever fat loss – permanent weight loss results
Weight Loss/Health Coaching